Sunday, November 1, 2009

Frugality at its finest! Homemade Laundry Soap!

How would you like to seriously save some cash, be eco-groovy, and have amazingly great smelling clean laundry with NO soap residue??? Well, this is the post for you! Here is an experiment that I tried earlier this weekend. I have been considering it for a while and did quite a bit of research about it. What spurred it on was the fact that Tide and Cheer prices were inching up close to 10.00 per jug. Even with a coupon you only save .50 or 1.00 after you buy 2 jugs of goo.

I realize that convenience has absolutely taken over our world. Everything has to be in single serving packages, redi-made, instant, microwaveable, or obtained in a 3 minute drive thru transaction. It seems like we have lost touch with the way things used to be done. About 2 years ago I posted my favorite wheat bread recipe so, now, 2 years later, let me share with you my favorite recipe for homemade laundry soap. I even have pictures of the mess and the ingredients for your viewing pleasure. I made two batches that provide enough soap for 50 or so loads depending on how stinky the clothes are. Store it in a nice air tight container. My calculations so far the laundry soap is coming in at about .10 per scoop. I have 3/4 of a box of Borax and Washing Soda left. I probably have a year supply of ingredients OR MORE!

So with no further adieu, here is the recipe:

Powdered Laundry Detergent

2 Cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated)

NOTE: 1 Bar=1Cup

1 cup Washing Soda

1 cup Borax

· Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.

Use 1-2 tablespoons per full load. The mess... I used a cutting board to cut the Fels-Naptha into chunks. I put it through our "SALAD SHOOTER" twice. The first grate, it looked like old lady toe nail clippings, but then it fell apart into wonderful little granules.







No comments: